Thursday, February 5, 2009

Does my baby really need a BlackBerry?


So LeapFrog just unveiled their latest baby gadget -- a Text & Learn personal digital assistant for tykes ages 3 and up.

It won't hit the States until this summer, but already I'm worried that my daughter, if I buy her this thing ($21.99 vs. $200+ for the adult version BlackBerry or iPhone), will start wanting to Baby Facebook or Baby Tweet. And where do we go from there?

Emailing, texting (God forbid sexting), twittering, MySpacing. Heck, what if she starts her own blog? What'll I do then?

Seriously, this piece of machinery is geared to help kids learn the alphabet and foster mad computer skills. And it's certainly an alternative to having your own grown-up gadget poked, prodded and possibly thrown in the garbage never to be dialed up again.

Oh, wait, all of which could happen to this one, too. But, as the Daily News points out, at least they won't be able to call Australia.

5 comments:

April said...

I wonder if this would suffice my 11-yr-old's request for a BBerry?

Pat Saperstein said...

OK, I don't even want to know what Sexting is. But I'd say if it helps her to Digg or Stumbleupon, then by all means.

Pokie said...

I'll just give her my storm. I can barely answer it. Or maybe I'll just wait a year or so and have C teach me how to use it!

Little Gray Pixel said...

Woah. Sexting is just ... why?!

L.A. Story said...

April, it might be one of those things where your 11-year-old will be fascinated for about 5 minutes before she wants the real deal.

And, yeah, sexting is pretty disturbing. I credit my hubs, Ian, for turning me on (so to speak) to that one. Truthfully, I wish it were something I could "un-know."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails