Monday, April 20, 2009

CC, do not tear down that wall!

This is where I got kind of selfish. Yesterday's trip to LACMA was all for me, and I think the kiddo sensed it.

After all, I can't really get away with claiming that CC said something along the lines of, "Mummy, darling, could we pleeeeease go to the museum to catch the surreal, devastating and moving images in Art of Two Germanys/Cold War Cultures? Pleeeeease?"

Yeah ... no.

It was all me. I was intrigued, and I rounded up the fam for a trek down Wilshire Boulevard. It was only when one museum-goer gave me the fish eye as we passed a particularly gruesome set of photographs that I wondered if I had erred in my Teutonic-loving ways.

A little background and a serious nerd alert: I studied German in high school and college, lived in Hamburg for a year, and I'm truly fascinated with the culture. The country has a horrific past, don't get me wrong, but witnessing the dramatic evolution of a culture ... well ... OK, I bet your eyes are glazing over about now. Anyway, it was the last day of the exhibit, and I would've felt foolish had I not gone.

Truth be told, we had to zoom through it. CC just didn't have the patience and wanted to touch everything. (Btw, can't wait for the Boone Children's Gallery to reopen!) What she did love was running through the light post exhibit out front and climbing on the Franz West sculptures (eek, hope that's OK, LACMA security) in the plaza.

There was also the super kid-friendly (read: unbreakable) Richard Serra sculpture Band, made from 200 tons of steel, which wound around itself on the first floor of the Broad Contemporary Art Museum. And the newly reopened French sculpture garden. Although maybe I picked the wrong sculpture to photograph.

I have to give another shoutout to LACMA, which has a great kids' program that allows one adult to accompany a child member for free. Can't beat $12 for a family of three to visit a huge museum for as long as we wanted. Although that's not including the breakables bill.

Kidding, LACMA security. Just kidding.

Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Telephone: 323-857-6000

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails