Friday, June 5, 2009

It's National Doughnut Day!!!

Thank God and the Salvation Army for National Doughnut Day!

Yes, you read that correctly. According to the Salvation Army web site, the first Friday in June was set aside in 1938 to commemorate Salvation Army volunteers who braved the front lines in World War I (!) to serve the tasty treat to soldiers stationed in France.

I always knew my donut obsession was for a greater cause.

Dunkin' Donuts
and Krispy Kreme stores are offering free donuts today, but if you're looking for something a little more upscale Grace Restaurant on Beverly Boulevard is celebrating all weekend with a gourmet tasting menu.

Now, time to make, er, eat the donuts.

Photo credit: © mark huls - Fotolia.com


4 comments:

Florinda said...

I celebrated by bringing in a dozen donuts to my office. For some reason, I heard about it a week in advance this year, so we could mark our calendars :-). My 9-year-old is marveling at the idea that donuts get their own holiday.

And I SO wish we had Dunkin' Donuts out here!

L.A. Story said...

Your office must LOVE you! Glad you got the early heads up. I'm sure your 9-year-old is, too. :) I dashed over to Krispy Kreme. Wish I could've hit DD too. :)

Unknown said...

We did go on Friday to get some and we got more than one each of course, it's hard to just get one!!!! Thanks!

L.A. Story said...

Donuts are definitely like potato chips that way! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails