Monday, October 5, 2009

There's free, and then there's free free



When I was going through the list of museums on the Museum Free-for-All this weekend, I never thought I'd pick one that was already free.

Yep, that was me. Trying to get in for free at the California Science Center, which is a museum that only takes donations.

Good thing CC is too young to be embarrassed by me.

Nevertheless, we had a great time at the hands-on and super kid-friendly museum in Exposition Park. Once we walked past the donation box -- which seemed to openly mock me -- and up the stairs, CC was immediately taken by the over-sized aluminum tube that served as a twisty example of how sound travels.

And never underestimate how much fun a 2-year-old can have from hearing a disembodied voice coming out of a tube.

With three wide-open levels, the museum itself is huge and offers plenty of attractions -- including a fog simulator, right -- to stimulate young minds.

CC loved the World of Life exhibit, which showed how humans and animals grow and develop. We even got to see some new baby chicks and eggs just about to hatch. (That was probably her favorite part.)

She also enjoyed spending time in the Discovery Room, using binoculars to go on an animal safari, playing with puzzles that showed the growth of a sunflower and exploring computer games that helped her categorize animals.

After a healthy dose of brain stimulation, we made our way outside to stop and smell the roses. If you've never been to the Exposition Rose Garden, it's quite wondrous.

I had to hold CC back from leaping into the enormous fountain. And you could get lost in the rows of roses but also take a break in one of several gazebos.

It was gorgeous and a beautiful day to match.

And, just in case you're wondering, the rose garden is gratis as well.

California Science Center

700 Exposition Park Dr.

Los Angeles, CA 90037

323-SCIENCE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shoulda picked a pricey one! I really wanted to take advantage of the free offer this weekend but there was just TOO MUCH to do in the city!!

L.A. Story said...

I totally shoulda picked a pricey one. :) There's so much to do. I don't blame you!

Unknown said...

I was just thinking about the CS Center these days and I thought it would be for older kids, but I realize it isn't! Thanks, we'll go soon and hopefully when it's free ;)

L.A. Story said...

Ha! Definitely go. Little kids will enjoy it, too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails