Monday, October 18, 2010

CC Leaps for Ballet

CC at her ballet recital

As I've written before, there's something so special -- as a mother -- about taking your daughter to the ballet.

But there are few things more pleasantly heartbreaking than watching your daughter plié and jeté -- and love every minute of it.

That was the case on Friday, when her teacher invited parents to watch a performance at her preschool. Ian and I were near tears, as she twirled and bowed in her little pink tutu and ballet slippers.

What could possibly be cuter than this? Well, turns out there was something.

A couple of weeks ago, CC had overheard me say that when I was 3 years old, I had blown a raspberry at the audience during my first -- and only -- ballet performance. She'd thought that was funny and proceeded to blow raspberries for the next 5 minutes.

What had I done?! Did this mean she was going to re-create my onstage embarrassment? Was history going to repeat itself because I hadn't waited until she was safely out of earshot before I told that story?

Luckily for us, that wasn't the case.

When she saw Ian and me in the audience, she smiled. And instead of blowing raspberries, she blew kisses.

Like I said, heartbreaking -- but in a good way.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails