Monday, January 17, 2011

MLK Jr. Day: Welcome to the Dream

(Photo credit: © Dan Ionut Popescu | Dreamstime.com)

Today, on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I took CC to the park after a scrumptious pit stop at Pinkberry.

Mindful of the day, I couldn't help but smile as I saw kids of all colors running, playing and swinging together. They weren't concerned about politics. They were just happy to be outside in the warm January (yes, January) sunshine.

What made me smile even more was their complete obliviousness to race or color. As a young African-American girl gladly offered her swing to CC, I wondered if I was over-thinking the moment. After all, it's been this way for a while now.

We've come a long way as a country -- that's not to say there isn't room for improvement -- but it was nice just to watch kids having fun and playing together, as if history had never happened.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think you were overthinking. I think we as a country are still working on our differences and it is important as a parent to teach our kids that everyone is unique.

L.A. Story said...

That's so true, Ruth. Well said.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails