Monday, May 30, 2011
While today is the unofficial start of summer (Happy Memorial Day!), CC and I got a head start yesterday by watching the Los Angeles Dodgers trounce the Florida Marlins during a breezy, sunny afternoon at Dodger Stadium.
Seated on field level, we had a great view of the action, as pitcher Clayton Kershaw allowed for only a single hit from the Marlin team and as the Dodger hits just kept on coming -- in a good way, with the final score being 8-0.
It's been just over a year since we last visited our hometown baseball team, and I had forgotten just how fun and relaxing an afternoon at the ballpark can be. We snacked on a colorful snow cone and enjoyed clapping along with chants like, "Let's Go, Dodgers!" CC was particularly enthusiastic at times when even the crowd was relatively silent.
I have to admit that recent events involving assault victim Bryan Stow have given me some pause about taking CC out to the ballgame, but I was instantly reassured when I saw the sheer number of police officers out in force in the parking lot and in the stadium. And this was in the afternoon!
In fact, CC noticed as well. "Why are there so many policemen and police girls here, Mommy?"
"To keep us safe, Sweetheart," I answered.
We definitely felt safe and can't wait to go back again. Lucky for families, there are tons of fun, kid-friendly events happening at Dodger Stadium. Most of them are planned for June, when the Dodgers will be playing at home from June 13-26.
Here is a selection of current and upcoming specials, courtesy of the L.A. Dodgers:
* $5 Kids' Tickets -- With the purchase of every full-priced adult ticket on the Field or Loge level, you can buy two $5 kids' tickets in the same section.
* Kids' Discount -- Kids ages 4-12 can get a $20 LFP ticket for $10 or a $15 Top Deck ticket for $7.
* Friday Night Fireworks -- In addition to Independence Day fireworks on July 4, the Dodgers will light up the sky after games on June 17, 24, July 8, 22, 29, August 12, 26, and Sept. 16. (This event came highly recommended from the woman seated behind us at the game yesterday.)
* Giveaways Just for Kids -- The Dodgers will give away backpacks on August 14 and lunchboxes on August 28.
* Viva Los Dodgers -- Families can enjoy a pre-game concert, games and prizes at games on June 19, 26, July 10, 24, 31, August 14 and 28.
* Kids Run the Bases -- After every Sunday game, kids are invited to run around the bases. (Kids and their families will have to line up early, because the line is super loooong if you wait until after the game is over.)
* Half-Price Food & Drink Days -- Families can get a hefty discount on treats on June 15, 22, August 10 and 31.
For more Dodger specials, visit www.dodgers.com/specials.
(Note: Media tickets provided)