Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Big!World!Fun!, the kid-friendly live entertainment series at the John Anson Ford Amphitheatre, is kicking off on Saturday, July 2, and the lineup looks especially big, fun and colorful.
Leading off the family series is Ballet Folclorico do Brasil (pictured above), a dance troupe made up of capoeiristas, who combine martial arts and music that's a mixture of African, Portuguese and indigenous Brazilian cultures.
They'll be hitting the stage for an hour-long show at 10 a.m. A pre-show, featuring kid-friendly activities from Kidspace Children's Museum, starts at 9 a.m.
This is a great series for introducing little ones to fun, live entertainment. We took CC last summer, and she was totally enthralled. It was helpful, too, that there is lots of shade and that kids are encouraged to be kids. (Read: It's super casual, and there's no shushing at the performance.)
Here's what's coming up during the rest of the season:
* AXIS Dance Company (July 9) -- featuring dancers with and without disabilities
* Beethoven's Wig (July 23) -- parodies of classical music masterpieces
* Center for Vietnamese Ethnic Culture & Art (July 30) -- dance, music and songs
* Linda Tillery and the Cultural Heritage Choir (August 6) -- African-American roots music
* Grandeza Mexicana Folk Ballet (August 13) -- folk dance from Mexico
* Street Beat (August 20) -- Urban dance and percussion fashioned from household items
* Lisa Haley & the Zydekats (August 27) -- Zydeco music from Louisiana
John Anson Ford Amphitheatre
2580 Cahuenga Blvd., East
Hollywood, CA 90068
Big!World!Fun! (Saturdays in July and August at 10 a.m.; pre-show starts at 9 a.m.)
Tickets: Adults ($5) Children (Free)