Friday, January 20, 2012

Free Day at LACMA Inspires My Little Artist

CC poses in front of Jeff Koons' "Balloon Dog (Blue)" at LACMA.
This has definitely been a very art-friendly week. First, Royal/T, then LACMA.

As I mentioned in my MLK Jr. post, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art offered free admission on Monday, which meant a fun field trip to the Miracle Mile.

In addition to eyeing pop art, a la Jeff Koons (above) and Andy Warhol, we also caught the new "Metropolis II" exhibit by artist Chris Burden (where we also spotted a museum-going Owen Wilson).

"Metropolis II"
CC and Ian loved it. I did, too. There was so much energy in the room, which housed the mini urban landscape, complete with zooming cars, tall buildings, bridges and freeways. LACMA visitors were crowded around the exhibit, as well as above it on a second-story landing. A couple of times, CC even tried to blend in with the exhibit herself, inching her way closer and testing the strength of the protective wire rope.

My little explorer also enjoyed the outdoor "Yellow Tubes" exhibit from Jesus Rafael Soto. Kids of all ages wound their way through the long, hair-like tubes. It reminded me a little of this former LACMA exhibit.

"Yellow Tubes"
We were able to tour so much of the museum, adding Ai Weiwei sculptures, live music and "California Design, 1930-1965: 'Living in a Modern Way'" to our art-loving day.

Not only that, but I also captured this awesomely (if I do say so myself) SoCal shot on our way back to the car. Very inspiring, indeed.

Looking up at LACMA from Wilshire Boulevard.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails