Friday, February 17, 2012

Tchuess, Berlin!

Bye-bye, Berlin!
Well, our Berlin-centric week has come to a close. We're back in Los Angeles now -- got back on Wednesday -- but I wanted to share some pics of famous places that we visited around the city.

Thanks again, Berlinale! We had a great time. I also wanted to give a shout-out to the hotel where we stayed, Hampton by Hilton. The room was comfy, the complimentary breakfast was delicious, and the free wi-fi came in very handy!

Posing with the Berlin Bear on Unter den Linden, in the former East Berlin.
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
Walking through this sea of gray blocks on a snowy day was so moving. Of course, CC didn't understand the magnitude of this Holocaust memorial; she only knew that it was supposed to honor people who died. The blocks were tall, short and placed on land that requires you to walk up and down small hills.

"What are these blocks supposed to be?" CC asked.

"They're supposed to make you think of the people who died," I answered.

"But how am I supposed to think about them?" she continued. "They're just blocks."

I thought that was such a clever question. She didn't really know how to process something so abstract. And I think that's the challenge of this memorial -- for adults and for kids.

Apparently, Checkpoint Charlie wasn't as fascinating for CC.
CC rides the U-Bahn.
Los Angeles and Berlin Sister Cities
And, finally, we have the sign for the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's only 9,269 km from Potsdamer Platz. A mere 5,759 miles.

Bye-bye, Berlin! Hope to see you again in our traveling future!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to come and say WOW and congrats and I can't believe you are there since the beginning of this week that is now over and now I realized you are already back! How exciting!! I red all your posts and I'm so happy that you went, specially since it's part of your culture and to be able to show CC :) Thanks for showing your view, I enjoyed all along :)

L.A. Story said...

Thank you so much, Dariela! That means so much. It was a great trip and really showed me that you can survive with a small child in a foreign country. :) Berlin's a great and manageable city, too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails