Saturday, April 28, 2012

'My Little Pony' Q&A



As I mentioned in my L.A. Times Festival of Books post, CC and I attended a "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" screening on the USC campus and stayed for the fun Q&A with showrunner Meghan McCarthy and Tara Strong, the voice of Twilight Sparkle.

CC brought a herd of My Little Pony figures, which she played with on the floor after the screening. It was all-pony, all-the-time for her.

What surprised me about the screening, though, was that the audience was made up of fervent fans (not the surprising part), and half of them were teenage boys, aka Bronies (the surprising part).

In fact, one mom was there with her preschool-age daughter and her teen son. These guys knew the lyrics to the theme song, had Twitter back-and-forths with Strong and laughed the loudest during the screening's funny parts.

You'll see in the video that I took (sorry for the delay, btw, I'm still figuring out the blog sked now that I'm working away from home all day) that the boys are really into how likable and fun the characters are. (Check out this L.A. Times story for more on the Brony phenomenon.)

Tara Strong, left, and Meghan McCarthy discuss "My Little Pony."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails