|"The Little Red Plane," from Charlotte Blacker of the United Kingdom.|
CC and I have our tickets ($5 each) for Saturday's "Birds of a Feather" lineup of short films geared toward children ages 4 and up. With animal-themed films including "Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks" (U.S.) and "Pipi, Pupu & Rosmary" (Luxembourg/Italy), CC will be able to "explore the worlds of a lovable array of critters, varmints and other furry and feathered creatures," according to the REDCAT program.
The festival, which screens films over two consecutive weekends (May 5-6; 12-13), will also feature the following lineups (descriptions are from the program):
* "Planet Kid" (Sat., May 5; ages 7+) -- "Journey deep into the worlds of funny and fantastic kids through the lens of these live-action and animated shorts that prove every child is truly one-of-a-kind."
* "Once Upon a Time" (Sat., May 5; ages 8+) -- "Gather 'round a cinematic campfire of fractured fairy tales and fanciful fables, including an Oscar-winning short and new animation from Aardman Studios -- shot on the world's largest stop-motion set."
* Nickelodeon Family Fun Day (Sun., May 6; Nick Jr. ages 2-6; Nickelodeon ages 7+) -- Children's channel Nickelodeon, which also helps support the festival, will screen episodes from its Nick Jr. and Nickelodeon lineup, including "The Fresh Beat Band," "Team Umizoomi" and "SpongeBob SquarePants."
* "Touch My Heart: Gentle Films on the Big Screen" (Sat., May 12; all ages) -- "Dive into the sumptuous animation and vivid live action of these richly textured films that reveal gentle tales and sweet stories suited to the youngest of film fans." ("The Little Red Plane," pictured above, will be featured.)
* "A Journey Beyond" (Sat., May 12; ages 7+) -- "Vibrant music and colorful cultures come to life in a cinematic sightseeing trip, with visits to Poland, Mexico, Vietnam, Italy and a magical New York City subway ride."
* "Yes I Can: Kids Come of Age" (Sat., May 12; ages 9+) -- "Celebrate amazing kids as they overcome adversity to forge friendships, embrace their heritages and discover the value of their unique place in the world.
* "Fire and Ice: New Animation from Russia" (Sun., May 13; ages 7+) -- "Timeless stories are told with a distinctly Russian flair in these films from Moscow's famed SHAR Studio and Animation School."
* "Wild Ride" (Sun., May 13; ages 7+) -- "Set sail with this fast-paced collection of live-action and animated films from four continents, and find out why adventure makes the world go round."
* "Fright Delight" (Sun., May 13; ages 9+) -- "Thrill to hair-raising encounters with vampires, ghosts, creepy crimes and horrendous homework -- for kids who love chills, goosebumps and scary stuff."
REDCAT International Children's Film Festival
May 5, 6, 12, 13
631 W. 2nd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Click here to buy tickets ($5).