Friday, January 10, 2014

Golden Globes, Sosie Bacon and Champagne Cocktails

Sosie Bacon, aka Miss Golden Globe 2014, at The Beverly Hilton
Yesterday I was two degrees away from Kevin Bacon.

The Golden Globe Awards, which will be airing on Sunday, Jan. 12, hosted a luncheon at The Beverly Hilton in honor of their newest Miss Golden Globe -- Sosie Bacon, daughter of Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick.

I was able to chat with her a little bit, along with other bloggers, as she made the rounds to the various tables. Not only is she down to earth (she said mom Kyra made sure she had as normal a childhood as possible), but she's also jazzed to meet Golden Globes co-hosts Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. (Can you blame her?)

Have your parents given you any advice about the Golden Globes?

I’ve watched my mom get ready for the Globes, and for every awards show, so many times, so I’m kind of used to it. I’m excited for it to be me that’s getting ready, but she tries to stay calm, plays music, tries to chill out a little bit. I'm just walking in heels and finally getting more used to it.

Is there one thing in particular about The Globes you’re excited about?

I’m excited to meet Amy Poehler and Tina Fey and just to watch them onstage. I’ll probably get to meet a lot of people. I’m excited to eat at the after-parties.

What’s next for you?

I’m just going to continue auditioning and working out here. Pilot season is coming up.

Did you want to get into acting because your parents are so amazing at it?

Oh no, I wouldn’t do it because of that. I never wanted to do it before. I was so against it because I was trying to rebel, and then I was reluctantly like, “This is the only thing I want to do. I love it.” And I absolutely on my own want to do it. It has to do with them, of course, because it’s in my blood. But it’s much more about me and my passions.

Your mom took a lot of convincing for you to be in The Closer episode?

My mom had to be convinced because she wanted me to have a normal childhood and be able to be a kid and be in high school, which I did. But now I’m older and I’m ready to do it, with full force.

What are your favorite movies that your parents have done?

It’s funny because I don’t watch many of their movies because when I was little they were so inappropriate – lots of sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll – so I didn’t really want to watch them because it was weird. And now that I’m doing it myself, I’m kind of going back and watching a little bit.

I just saw Diner, which is incredible. I watched [Singles] a couple years ago because I was in a real '90s phase. My mom was like, 'I've got a '90s movie for you.'

The Moët Golden Night cocktail created by celebrity chef Aida Mollenkamp
If you're looking to make a signature cocktail for the night, the Moët Golden Night was pretty tasty!

Here's what you need:

MOËT GOLDEN NIGHT
Made to celebrate the glamour and glitz of the awards season, Moët Golden Night is a decidedly sophisticated cocktail of cardamom syrup, pear brandy, and Moët & Chandon Imperial Brut Champagne. Garnished with a “fan” of fresh pear slices, this cocktail is the perfect sipper to toast the festivities. 

Makes: 6 cocktails // Enough simple syrup mixture for 8 cocktails
Total Time: 25 minutes
Hands On Time: 5 minutes

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup unrefined granulated sugar               
1/4 cup water
20 whole cardamom pods, crushed using the back of a knife or a mortar and pestle
1/4 cup pear brandy
1 (750 ml) chilled Moët & Chandon Imperial Brut Champagne
2 small ripe Forelle or Seckel pears, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS
Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan, stir to dissolve the sugar, add the crushed cardamom pods and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the simple syrup for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to steep and cool for 20 minutes.

Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the simple syrup, discard the seeds and pods, and place the simple syrup into a liquid measuring cup. Add the pear brandy and stir to combine. (The pear-cardamom simple syrup mixture can be made up to 2 days ahead and the Asian pears can be peeled up to 2 hours ahead.)

Just before serving, cut the pear off the core and slice pear lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices. (Separate slices into stacks of three and spread slightly to make a fan. If cutting slices ahead of serving time, coat them with a little lemon juice to prevent them from browning.)

To serve, add 1/2 ounce of the pear-cardamom simple syrup mixture to 6 white wine glasses or 6 Champagne coupes (this makes enough syrup for 8 cocktails). Add 4 ounces of chilled Moët & Chandon Imperial Brut Champagne to each glass, filling each glass about halfway. Garnish each glass with three pieces of fanned pear slices and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails