Friday, December 31, 2010

'The Sound of Music' Rings Out 2010


For my final post of 2010 -- not to mention this year's 300th entry here at L.A. Story -- I thought I would write about "The Sound of Music," a classic film if there ever was one.

I remember when CC was a tiny baby, my repertoire of lullabies was pretty limited. (You forget all of those songs you haven't heard in so many years.) But one of the songs I did remember -- in addition to "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," "Rockabye Baby" (whose lyrics later freaked me out) and, for some reason, "Hello, Dolly!" -- was "Do-Re-Mi," from this Rodgers & Hammerstein movie/musical, directed by Robert Wise.

I would sing that to her, hoping it would help her fall asleep, but also hoping that it would ready her for the day when we got to see Julie Andrews marvel at those gorgeous Austrian Alps.

Christmas 2010 was that moment.

Luckily, I had received a review copy of the Blu-ray/DVD combo (SRP: $34.99) from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment in honor of the film's 45th anniversary. Wow, 45 years. And this G-rated movie, while long at a whopping 175 minutes, complete with intermission, was so worth it.

I forgot how magical the songs are, how touching the story is and how rousing Andrews is as spunky nun/governess Maria.

The story of her charming the seven von Trapp children and their father (played by the wonderful Christopher Plummer) is just so timeless.

And the songs!

CC loved "My Favorite Things," especially the whiskers on kittens, and I'd forgotten just how beautiful "Edelweiss" sounds with a simple guitar.

Throw in a harrowing Nazi escape, and what's not to love?

The quality of the film is magnificent -- and watching it on a 52-inch flat-screen didn't hurt. But it only made me want a Blu-ray player, as two of the three discs in the anniversary package are in that format. Those discs sport fun special features, including an interactive "Backlot Tour" with featurettes on the songs, the stage show and movie and the real-life von Trapp family. It also has a virtual map of filming locations in Salzburg, Austria.

As it was, the features on the regular DVD offered a sing-along and "The Sound of Music Tour -- A Living Story," a short insider's look at the tour offered in Salzburg. (Wish that had been a little longer, actually.)

Nevertheless, we had a great time watching the movie, and I'm sure we'll watch it again -- maybe on the 50th anniversary in five years.

But one song does offer a handy and inspiring goal for the upcoming 2011 -- "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," whatever your mountain happens to be.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

April said...

This is one of those movies I need to see at least once a year!
Happy New Year to you and yours, Laura!

L.A. Story said...

I really did forget just how great it is! Happy New Year, April! Hope you and your girls have a wonderful year. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, every time I watch this movie it makes my heart melt! I LOVE it! I recently saw the special on Oprah too and it was great! Sounds like the DVD is very cool!!

L.A. Story said...

I love it, too! A great movie to watch again!

Dallas said...

The time that I was blind and needed to see the light was tough. I needed info on sober college. And finally found the one that worked for me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails