Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My little papoose is a member of the tribe


This weekend, CC received her tribal citizenship card from the Muscogee (Creek) Nation. She is officially on the rolls as being 1/8 Creek.

While my mom was here over Christmas, we dug out our own citizenship cards as well as my mom's parents' cards: My grandma was a full-blood Creek and my grandfather 7/8 Cherokee. After writing down dates of birth, roll numbers and even signing an affidavit swearing that, yes, I did give birth to my child, I was able to finally and officially have my daughter's heritage recognized.

She should soon be receiving her Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood card, which will take into account her Cherokee heritage as well. (You can only declare citizenship in one tribe.)

Sometimes I feel very far away from my family in Oklahoma, and it's moments like this that connect me to my roots, which also belong to my child (California girl that she is).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails