Monday, February 14, 2011
Happy Valentine's Day! If you're feeling that holiday craving for chocolate -- for me it doesn't really have to be a holiday -- there are plenty of places around Los Angeles to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Here's just a sampling:
1. Magnolia Bakery (8389 W. 3rd St., L.A., 90048) -- So far, this is my favorite cupcake stop in Los Angeles. There are plenty of awesome ones, which I'll also include, but I love the homemade feel and delicious but not diabetes-inducing frosting.
2. Crumbs Bake Shop (Various L.A. locations) -- For cupcakes as big as your head and filled with yummy surprises, check out this fave bake shop. They have lots of Valentine's Day options.
3. Sprinkles (9635 Little Santa Monica Blvd., Beverly Hills, 90048) -- Gotta love the cool, mod look of a Sprinkles cupcake. Bonus points for also offering cupcakes on the road via the Sprinkles truck.
4. Sweet Lady Jane (8360 Melrose Ave., West Hollywood, 90069 and 1631 Montana Ave., Santa Monica, 90403) -- These are truly gorgeous cupcakes, what with the colorfully floral designs and mile-high frosting. This sweet lady also has a wide variety of lovely Valentine's Day desserts.
5. BabyCakes NYC (130 W. 6th St., L.A., 90014) -- For the vegan in your life who doesn't want to miss out on taste, head downtown to BabyCakes NYC. The scent of its sweets-filled kitchen will have you inside and ordering in no time.
1. Compartes Chocolatier (912 S. Barrington Ave., L.A., 90049) -- For organic chocolates that are gorgeous to boot, visit Compartes in Brentwood. For Valentine's Day, they also have chocolate-dipped Oreos topped with tiny colorful hearts.
2. Valerie Confections (3360 W. 1st St., L.A., 90004) -- You might remember when I visited Valerie about this time last year. Her creative confections are simply delicious.
3. L'Artisan du Chocolat (3364 W. 1st St., L.A., 90004) -- Talk about your friendly neighborhood chocolate block. I'm intrigued by the close proximity of this French-inspired chocolate shop and neighbor Valerie. When it comes to chocolate, apparently the more the merrier!
4. Madame Chocolat (212 N. Canon Dr., Beverly Hills, 90210) -- This ornate Beverly Hills outpost is the perfect place to see how the chocolate confections are actually made. You might even catch a glimpse of owner Hasty Torres and her chocolatier husband, Jacques Torres, as well. (I had a great time here, btw, at a baby shower for my friend Vickey.)
5. John Kelly Chocolates (1508 N. Sierra Bonita, L.A., 90046) -- Did someone just say Truffle Fudge Bites with Sea Salt? Oh yes, they did.
Enjoy! Can you tell I'm ready for dessert?