Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What Daddies Will Do for Their Daughters


CC, Ian and I took a little break and drove up the coast to Santa Barbara, but before I share those stories and pics I wanted to post this picture of Daddy and Daughter and Nail Polish.

It makes me smile for a few reasons, but mostly, I wanted to share this because it reminded me of something Ian was convinced of while I was pregnant -- namely that we would most likely have a boy.

It's not that he didn't want a girl -- he would have been happy either way -- but he comes from a male-heavy family and just thought it would be genetically improbable for us to have a little Clark-ette.

He was also nervous that he wouldn't know how to play with her. He knew how to interact with boys, having been one himself, but girls? What would they have in common?

Of course, all of that changed once we found out we were having a girl. And it really changed the moment CC was born. Ian didn't want to leave her side.

I'm sure a lot of dads worry about relating to their little girls, but it's funny how all of that fear (or most, anyway) disappears once you see your baby and hold your baby for the first time. They're yours. Or rather ... she's yours. Forever.

So when CC plucked my red nail polish off the bathroom counter, made a beeline for Ian -- not me, you'll notice -- and asked him to paint her nails, he didn't hesitate.

In fact, I think he had fun.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG so cute and sweet! Daddy's little girl (aren't we all?)!

Sara said...

Oh, this is so precious! Ian is a great Daddy!

L.A. Story said...

Awww, thanks! He is definitely a great Daddy. :)

Unknown said...

So cute! I think the same thing is gonna happen to my husband. He is going to love doing things with the baby girl now!!

L.A. Story said...

I bet it will, too, Dariela! It's so cute to see. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails