Thursday, April 25, 2013

Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day

Take Your Child to Work Day at mom.me
Today we celebrated Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day at mom.me by inviting all of our colleagues with kiddos to bring them in for crafts, snacks and fun.

Of course I brought CC in for the excitement, and besides missing a morning of school, she got to see where I worked and had the chance to make cards, build Legos and mingle with other boys and girls whose parents also work outside of the home.

I have to (virtually) high-five my co-workers, who organized craft tables and video production for the event. It really showed just how much we enjoy what we do -- something that's amazing for the kids to see.

The holiday is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. Launched in 1993 by none other than Ms. magazine founder Gloria Steinem, the day began as Take Our Daughters to Work Day. It was an opportunity for girls to explore different careers, but now it includes boys, too. (I'm totally bringing Baby Will in a few years.)

I know she had an amazing time -- just watching her with the other kids was so fun. At one point, she was "hanging out" with two 1st grade girls, and I overheard her tell them, "I liked preschool so much better than kinder. You got to do whatever you wanted."

Flash-forward 10 years, and I imagined her gossiping with friends about school, boys and how junior high was so much easier than high school.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails