Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stuff I'm Going to Do: See "Up" with CC

Done and done!

This morning CC and I ventured over to the Los Feliz 3 Cinemas on Vermont for its weekly Mommy & Me Matinee. Lucky for us, Disney/Pixar's "Up" was one of the films on the marquee.

Lucky for a few reasons. First, I have yet to be disappointed by a Pixar pic (haven't seen "Cars," though, and heard some mixed reviews). Secondly, kids under 4 are free, so I just paid the matinee price for myself ($6). And, lastly, it wasn't in 3-D.

Yeah, yeah, I know 3-D is the wave of the future (now I'm starting to sound like grumpy ol' Carl Fredricksen), but CC just won't wear the glasses. As you might know from reading this blog, we took CC to see "Bolt" at the El Capitan for her birthday.

While we thought the movie itself was adorable, CC refused about a quarter of the way through to wear the requisite eye gear. And there's nothing worse than fearing two hours of a blurry movie will somehow make your child go blind.

So it was great watching "Up" in good ol' 2-D and commiserating with other parents as our children talked to the screen, jumped up and walked around ... and around and around ... and threw stuffed animals like it was a jungle pillow fight. OK, only mine did that.

After CC tossed her monkey (why does that sound like a euphemism for something horrible?) behind us, a smiling mom handed it back and said, "I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot more of that at this showing."

And how.

CC sat still for most of the movie and even seemed enthralled by it. I was in tears at least four times. I have to say, it's amazing the emotion Pixar films can convey with few or no words. (See: "Wall-E"). After the credits rolled and we got up to leave, CC turned to the screen and waved. "Bye-bye, 'Up,'" she said. Make that five times for waterworks.

As an antidote to the poignancy, I had to laugh at what I noticed on the Los Feliz 3 web site. Apparently any movie is available for a Mommy & Me Matinee:


IMDb
Drag Me to Hell
Daily at 2:00, 4:30, 7:15 & 9:30 P.M.
Wednesday at 10:30 A.M. - Mommy & Me Matinee

Variety


Los Feliz 3 Cinemas
1822 N. Vermont Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Mommy & Me Matinees: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.

2 comments:

Little Gray Pixel said...

LOL. Drag Me to Hell ... I really have no other comment but to just laugh.

L.A. Story said...

I know! I'm still laughing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails