Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yay Math!


CC has really started to like math. In fact, she's asked me to download a few apps, such as Park Math, that are great for learning basic addition and subtraction. (Don't get me started on the Sudoku app she discovered on my phone. I'm just learning that game myself.)

It made me think about what a great learning opportunity it is for her -- especially since we focus so much on reading and writing.


So it was perfect timing last week, when I learned about the PBS Kids Lab, which aims to make math "more approachable for parents and fun for kids." In addition to offering helpful online content -- with Spanish translations -- the site provides great tips for parents who are looking for ways to add math into everyday activities like car rides.

Here are a few:

1. When driving in the car, count the number of trees as you pass by.
2. Call out street signs, and identify their shapes.
3. Count aloud the seconds it takes for a child to brush his/her teeth.
4. Cook with the kids, and count ingredients.
5. Play grocery store with household items, and count out the change.

What do you do to help make math fun for the kiddos?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails